Monday, May 31, 2010

June 2010 Update

It's June, so you know what that means. Time for the monthly update:

The Debt: $2,650.36
The Savings: $1,966.95

The change in debt is more than $100. Actually, it's a bit more than that. I have a credit with one credit card account to the tune of about $50. It hasn't been posted yet, so I didn't factor it in up there, but it's still good to know.

As for the savings, well ... it has decreased quite a bit since the last update. But as I mentioned a couple of months ago, I haven't updated the amount in the margin because it has been fluctuating so much. Still, last month I had about $15K. Now? Not.

But considering that I bought a home, that I have any savings at all is a blessing. In fact, I have more than what I posted. I had extra left after the closing and then I got a refund on my closing amount. Also, June happens to be a three-paycheck month, so I'll have an "extra" check coming. And down the road there should be other cash infusions, including payments for freelance work and, I hope, my full rental deposit for the place I'm leaving.

So I think I'm in decent shape to start my life as a homeowner. But -- there's always a "but," isn't there? -- I must work to maintain the good habits I've picked up the last few years. I can't afford to become comfortable. I must continue working to knock out that remaining debt, and I have to continue saving. It will be hard, especially since I'm itching to decorate the condo. But that could be a recipe for financial disaster if I'm not careful. A couch here, a cabinet there, and before you know it, I could be in trouble.

I will buy myself a new bed, at least new mattresses. But other things? I want to take my time and buy only things I love, even if it takes a while -- and only when my finances permit.

Have a mentioned lately how grateful I am? Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments: