Wednesday, June 30, 2010

July 2010 Update

Once again I'm posting the monthly update a day early. I'd planned to do July's update tomorrow, but I've got freelance work to do tomorrow night, and that takes precedence. I figured it was better to post a day early than to post a day late. So here I am.

The Debt: $1,975.69
The Savings: $4,790.00

Can we concentrate on that debt total for a moment, please? I owe less than $2,000. Me -- the chick who three years ago owed $20,000. It hasn't been easy, and it darn sure hasn't been fun. But ... wow. I still have work to do, I know, but I'm not going to discount my progress or what it's taken me to get to this point. Nor will I become complacent.

Needless to say, with my mortgage and condo fee, I will not be able to pay the full amount I've been paying toward credit card debt the last few years. But I will pay more than the minimum due every month.

The savings outlook is in decent shape -- better than I expected, really, given all that's gone on in the last month. Yeah, sure, I could pay off my debt with what I have in savings. But I really want to build a big cushion. I'm even going to wait on buying new mattresses until later this year, maybe even until after I get my tax refund next year.

Some freelance jobs will be invoiced this month, so that will bring in more cash. In fact, two of the three freelance jobs I started in June have grown into bigger jobs, so I'll be getting more than I originally thought. What I'm not getting "extra" is a chance to relax. I've been exhausted the last few weeks, and that's not going to change for a few more. But it's all good. Right now, the plan is to put some of that money toward the debt, but a significant portion will go into savings. And I might treat myself and by something pretty to wear.

What a difference a month makes: I post tonight from my new home! I am still in awe. When I go to bed, I sit on my bed and look around in wonder. I am really here. I am so blessed, and so, so thankful.

No comments: