Friday, May 28, 2010

Enough With the Condo Already!

Today I closed on my first home. Me. The girl who started this blog owing more than $20,000, just bought a place. And not just any place, but a place I love.

The closing went extremely well. Honestly, I don't think it could've gone any smoother. My agent and I both got there early, and since the settlement agent was available, he started the bowl rolling. A very nice man. No condescending to me at any time. Patiently explained everything before having me sign on the dotted line.

And sign. And sign. And sign.

It took about an hour, not as long as I'd been warned. The seller wasn't there, so that helped move things along. Her agent was a doll. An older lady with smiling blue eyes. Her enthusiasm when she put the keys in my hand was so touching. And my agent, who has been great from the beginning, was awesome to the end. The positive energy in that office supporting me in this endeavor moved me to tears. Literally.

And as it turned out, I got a refund of part of my settlement costs.

After, I met with the office manager for the building to take care of the administrative details of being a new resident. When I went upstairs to my condo for the first time as the owner, I jumped up and down like a little girl in the middle of the living room. I mean, full-on arms flailing about kind of jumping. :-)

But this is a PF blog. So enough about the condo already and more about the debt:

I have money left over. The refund for part of my closing costs will add to the cushion, as will some other money that I'm expecting in June/July, including the return of my rental deposit of my current place. This cushion will allow me to continue my payment plan at least one more time before dropping my payment amount.

But to tell you the truth, I'd still like to pay it off by 10/10/10. I really would. The money will come.

The monthly update is in a few days. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Morning Noon Evening said...

Congratulations! This is so exciting! I can't wait to be in your shoes one day. :)

veronica said...

Thank you! I am excited, too, but I have to remain focused on my goal to get rid of my credit card debt. My focus is what has gotten me this far, so I definitely have to continue keeping my eye on the prize.

Hang in there, and you will be in my shoes sooner than you realize. :-)