Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September 2009 Update -- Part II

Last night after I posted the monthly update for September, I finally did the math and realized that my savings went down over $800. I freaked. I knew I had the recent car repair, but that was "only" $400. Where was the other $450?

Once I calmed down a little, the fog lifted and I remembered the other things: I treated myself to boots ($208), I paid my personal property tax ($108), I took out $50 in quarters for laundry, and I transferred $30 to cover our bus fare to NYC. With the car repair, that's $796. The rest was to cover a few things here and there, including a few grocery items. (This pay period was pretty tight; most of my check went to my rent).

While I was making this transfer and that transfer, it didn't seem like a lot. But it really added up.

Hopefully I've got things somewhat caught up and can stop doing the savings transfer dance. Even if I haven't, though, I've got to do a better job with budgeting.

Also, the payment on my credit card to cover the car repair has finally been posted. I scheduled the payment from HSBC last Thursday (August 27); the payment wasn't posted on my credit card until yesterday (September 1). But since it takes a day before you can see the completed transaction, it wasn't until today that the credit appeared.

Which brings me to this: I really hate how long it takes HSBC to credit money you deposit into its accounts and how long it takes for them to send money for bills or to transfer to another account. But they very quickly subtract the money coming out the HSBC account. I much prefer ING's Web interface and timing, but HSBC has a slightly higher rate. (Though, really, as pathetic as the savings rates are these days, the difference is negligible.)

Sigh. Payday can't come fast enough.

No comments: