Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Really, It's About Control

I'm going on another art tour. It's not even $200 and it includes transportation, lunch, and a three-course dinner. Oh -- and admittance to what looks like a beautiful museum of post-Impressionist art and a 14-acre arboretum. It's mid-October, right in the middle of autumn. I'm sure it'll be glorious.

"Don't these tours cost money?" "Aren't you supposed to be saving your money?" "Didn't you set a $10,000 savings goal for next October 10 -- a mere 13 months from now?"

Yes, yes, and yes. I know all that. Still, I also want to -- indeed, must -- take care of myself. The fact is that I've been feeling terribly burned out. Frustrated, even. I'm fast approaching my next birthday and it feels like everyone else my age has achieved things most adults usually hope to achieve: decent career, a happy (or at least contented) marriage, maybe even children to dote on. Those who haven't, well, it seems they at least know what they want and are striving for it.

And then there's me. I still haven't a clue as to what the hell I'm doing, where I'm going, or even what I want. To avoid addressing all those issues, I've focused on only one thing: My debt. I've allowed it to consume me. Anything to keep me from thinking of all the things I lack in my life. At least I can control my debt.

So I'm going to try to stop obsessing so much about the money thing. No, I'm not deviating from my goal to be debt free by next October. But if my savings goal has to take a hit so that I can maintain some quality of life from time to time, well, so be it. If come October 10, 2010, I'm short of my $10K goal but am a happy, well-adjusted person, I'll still consider it a win.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Having some balance can be beneficial to you well-being. I understand fully the concept of getting out of debt and finally being able to use that money on the finer things of life, but when you're out of debt, it might be harder to remember what you wanted to do in the first place if you didnt find that balance during the debt reduction.Sorry if I'm not making any sense!

Funny that we had the same ideas in our posts!

veronica said...

I know exactly what you're saying, Maria, and agree. In the end, we have to remember why worked so hard to do this. If we don't, we'll be left wondering what was the point of it all.