Saturday, May 2, 2009

Monthly Update for May 2009

So, it's that time again. Some of it ain't pretty.

The Debt: $10,924.07
The savings: $5,045.16

The change in the debt isn't bad; it's a respectable difference of about $480. The savings, though, took a hit -- a nearly $700 hit.

It's because of my upcoming trip. Well, that and my irresponsibility. I'd put my and my friend's airfare and ferry tickets on my credit card (which I paid off from savings), and he paid me immediately for his share. That was all fine and dandy, but instead of putting his half into my savings like I should have, I kept it in my checking believing I would keep it there so I'd have spending money during vacation.

The problem is that I've already spent it. As I mentioned in my last post, I've fallen off the wagon and have been shopping a lot. I joked (read: rationalized) that I was doing my part for the economy. What I need to be doing is my part for myself.

And never has this been more important than now, now that I'm considering going back to school.

Which brings me to this: I'm going to defer my admission to fall 2010. I thought about it and it makes the most sense for me right now. I applied not really expecting to get accepted, and I'm unprepared for it. For one, when I first considered it, I thought I'd be able to have my employer help with tuition. But we are now "belt-tightening," and I don't think it's right to ask.

What I'd like is this: If I do decide to go next year, I want to go without any debt stress. And I don't want my decision to be based on whether my employer can help foot the bill. Sure, if they can help pay for it, great. But I want to be able to go even if they can't -- and I don't want to be stressed about it.

It's funny: I'd picked my debt freedom date before any of this came about, and now it seems the timing is pretty perfect. Go figure.

In the meantime, I've gotta get back on the wagon and stop this crazy spending that I've been doing. Period.

No comments: