Saturday, November 1, 2008

November 2008 Update

I've had a full day, and I'm exhausted. So without further ado:

The Debt: $14,127.44
The Savings: $6,138.89

But there's a "but" -- and it's a big one. I have to have a fairly major car repair. The current estimate is just over $900. I went in for a simple oil change and state inspection, and this was the news I got when I picked up my car. My car won't pass without this repair, and I have 14 days.

I about fainted dead away in that shop.

I like the guys at this shop, though, and they used to do good work on my old car. Still, I'm going to get a second opinion next week. I have a friend who goes to a shop that's not far from where we work. She says they're honest and do good work.

I am bummed, of course. But I keep reminding myself that this is why I have worked so hard to have some savings. Four years ago, this would've crushed me. And while I'd like to do a bunch of other things with that money -- say, for example, keep it in savings! -- I won't be wiped out completely. Also, I have a great little car, and it hasn't required much in the way of repair (unlike the Jetta, which seemed to always have something wrong with it). There have been the occasional maintenance items, but it's been a great car.

In other money news, I recently had to stand up for myself as a consumer. The yoga studio I go to recently replaced all the old, worn-out blankets with these bigger, heavier wool blankets. They're these Italian Army surplus blankets. Itchy, yes, but warm, which is what I need on my bed during the winter. (Plus, they're really cool looking.)

When I received my blanket, I thought something was ... off, and it wasn't just the overpowering stench of moth balls. A week or two later, I measured it: 47.5 x 68 inches. The blankets are supposed to be approximately 60 x 80 inches. That's a big difference. So I e-mailed the company and they were very nice. The sent me a replacement (got it today) and included a postage-paid mailing label for the return.

So that's the monthly update for November. Not all good news. But it is what it is.

No comments: