Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thank You

Several years ago, when I was working for a nonprofit arts center and making no money, there would be the occasional week when I'd have all of a buck to get me to the next payday. And I mean a buck. No savings to cushion the blow. But you know what? I almost never went without lunch. Somehow, some way, it always worked out. Sometimes I managed to bring in leftovers. But sometimes food would just appear during the day. For example, there would be leftovers from a meeting. Or a coworker would have too much lunch and end up sharing with me. Once, someone who had just opened a deli and was eager to drum up business dropped off an entire tray of sandwiches for the staff. For free.

I learned not to worry. I wouldn't go hungry.

I say all this because I've had the same six bucks in my wallet since last Friday. Granted, I have more savings these days, but I still use times like this to get creative with what I have and to trust that when my creativity runs out, the food will come. And so it has been. Last night I got rid of some things in my fridge and freezer and made a stir-fry -- enough for two meals. Today I had some soup that I'd stored in the freezer for a rainy day. Tonight a friend treated me to dinner; I have leftovers, enough for tomorrow night. Someone is throwing a baby shower lunch tomorrow at work, and I'm invited. And I've been invited for dinner Friday night at a friend's place, complete with appetizers, cocktails, and dessert.

So though things are tight until payday, I'm not going hungry. I am so grateful to the power that keeps me safe, healthy, and fed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to read posts like this, posts about having faith, that things will work out.

Thank you for sharing.