Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Blip on the Radar

Not long ago, I came across photos of San Antonio's Riverwalk and was blown away. Before then, my only Texas experience was a visit to a friend in Fort Worth. I was underwhelmed to the point of vowing I'd never visit Texas again. (Yes, I'm sure there are some people who love Fort Worth. I'm just not one of 'em.) But those photos of the Riverwalk had me reconsidering. Besides, it was unfair of me to judge an entire state based on one small part of it.

I mentioned it to a good friend of mine. She's a former resident of Texas, a graduate of UT, in fact. "You'd love it!" she declared. And then: "That should be our next trip. You should see Austin too." We'll go in January, she said.

While I'm off daydreaming about this, that, and the other, she's doing. And one of the things she does is travel. Her forte is the road trip -- she once drove 700 miles to try a specific pie. It is because of her that I've walked the Brooklyn Bridge.

While I was daydreaming about seeing San Antonio's Riverwalk, she was planning our trip. It's not that I thought she was joking, but she had other trips she was planning next year, so I thought Texas was on the back burner.

Nope. She still wants to go in January.

Why am I mentioning this in my debt blog? Well, because this will affect the savings somewhat. There will be airfare, hotel costs, car rentals. But you know what? So what! In fact, I think I can enjoy a nice trip away for a few days and still meet my debt and savings goal for 10/10/10. Admittedly, it will be tight, but it can -- and will -- be done. And in addition to being debt free and having decent savings, I'll also have some great memories of another fun trip.

So although there's a blip on the radar, it's a good blip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You deserve a vacation! Enjoy! :)