Sunday, October 5, 2008

October 2008 Update

It ain't pretty:

The savings balance has gone down. Not by a lot -- almost $45 -- but considering it should be up by at least $100, it's not good. This means I'm down $145.

As for the debt balance, it's not where it's scheduled to be. Rather than pay the full amount last month, I only paid half so that I could have some extra spending money during my mother's weeklong visit. It will be December before I get back on schedule. The debt balance is also in its proper place.

One good thing is that the debt balance includes $139 for boots that I've since returned. And it also includes two clothing purchases made last week. I plan to pay off those amounts next week from my overtime (which, until January 2009, is earmarked as a clothing allowance).

I'm hoping that October will be the month September was intended to be -- that is, the month to recover from summer and get everything back on track. But I will have to overcome my usual challenges:

  • giving up hope;
  • obsessing about the short-term stuff;
  • giving in to panic and anxiety; and
  • having unrealistic goals.


I should be getting a freelance check soon, so that'll ease things up a bit. I'd like to use the whole thing for either savings or debt, but I think it would be best in the long term if I use the rule of thirds for it: one-third in savings, one-third toward debt, and one-third for me, probably as part of the clothing allowance.

So that's October.

Oh! And by the way, I finally found a pair of boots, so the quest is over. And they were only 40 bucks. Can't argue with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life happens. All you can do is let the past go and look forward to the future.
Hope you had a great visit with your mother!