Friday, August 15, 2008

A Case of the I-Wants

I want a new TV. I have this old TV in my bedroom, but since I don't have cable back there, I use an antenna my dad got for me from the thrift store. As far as antennae go, it's pretty advanced -- it's got the two rabbit ears and then the whole fancy dial tuner. But it still doesn't work that well. For example, reception will be perfectly fine on two stations, but then another station will be barely watchable while the UHF stations are completely unwatchable.

And sometimes, if I'm doing yoga, the reception on the good stations will go in and out depending on if I'm in Downward Facing Dog or Upward Facing Dog. (OK, why the TV is on while I'm doing yoga is a whole other issue.)

So I want a new TV.

I have the savings, so why not?

I'll tell you why not: Because I've gone so long without spending money on that scale that doing so makes me nervous. Like I'll lose control and before I know it, I'll have bought out the store.

Pardon the pun, but stay tuned ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why dont you designate a portion of savings over the next few months just for a new tv? That way you can still have a new tv but it will put the concept of "delayed gratification" into action!

veronica said...

Maria!!!! Hi! I hope all is well with your and your wee one. Also, I hope things are great with your new job. :-)

Yes, I've thought of that too. But I get so weird about my savings. The more I have, the less I want to spend it! I suppose it's not a bad thing, but I do feel stingy sometimes. (See my post from April 2008 for more on this quirk of mine.) The fact is, I've put money in the bank "designated" for a new iPod (to replace an old one that broke) and for a few other things, but I haven't bought any of that stuff either. Just can't bring myself to do it. LOL

I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. Sending you best wishes!