Monday, August 16, 2010

The 200th Post

Yep, still debt free. But you know what? I'm still living like I did while I was deep in debt.

I'd planned to treat myself to a much-needed massage after I moved. Didn't do it; didn't want to spend the money. I've wanted to treat myself to a getaway. Haven't planned anything; afraid to spend the money. I desperately need to replace my old mattresses. Haven't done it; haven't wanted to ... well you get the idea. I haven't even had the new prescription put into my eyeglasses yet.

This is not acceptable. The point of getting out of debt and increasing my savings was so that I could live my best life. I had to sacrifice a lot and learn some new habits. Turns out I learned those habits so well that I can't break myself out of them. I'm not saying I should go crazy and throw responsibility out the door, but when I start second-guessing small purchases -- like a frappe, for crying out loud -- something is wrong.

I'm afraid of that slippery slope. That it'll be a little here, a little there, and before you know it, all my hard work was for naught. But life is about balance, right? Seems I've swung too far the opposite way.

How am I going to fix this? I don't know yet. I've only been debt free for a week. Who knows? I could be handling this the right way. Maybe it requires small steps...

... and maybe it's time I called a professional. My employer covers the cost of one visit with a financial planner. I've met the guy at a few of the talks he's given at our company. He's a nice guy. In fact, one of my friends uses him and likes him. We'll see.

2 comments:

Snake said...

Don't obsess . . .

Do this . . . Set aside an allowance of X dollars per month . . .

Then, break it down . . . Is this a necessary expense? Is this a frivolous expense?

But, at the end of the month, that money MUST be spent . . . lol

Get back into the habit of spending money you can well afford to spend . . .

So, set the amount, and go from there . . .


Snake

veronica said...

Thank you, my friend. I recently bought myself a little present and felt pretty good about it. :-)

hugs!