Monday, April 19, 2010

Holding Pattern ... Kinda

Just wanted to check in. Things are kind of in a holding pattern right now as far as the condo purchase is concerned. Most of the hard stuff is done. Granted, I do still have to write one helluva big check at settlement, but thankfully I'll be able to do that without completely wiping out my savings or leaving an arm or leg there with the title company. Still, it will be the biggest check I'll have ever written.

In the meantime, I do have a lot to do. Today I called four moving companies to get quotes. You'd be surprised by how disparate rates can be. The lowest one quoted so far was $95/hour; the highest, $130/hour. For a job that's going to be 5-6 hours, that's almost 200 bucks. I have one more company to call tomorrow, but unless it's a huge price difference, I think I'm going to go with a company I called today that's $100/hour. Why am I not using the $95/hour company? Well, I liked the guy I talked to at the $100/hour company, and the company was referred to me by someone I know and whose opinion I trust.

In other financial news, my landlords have agreed to let me out of my lease a month early. Yay! The husband called me Saturday. I am thrilled. And that extra money will come in very handy.

Last night I was going through some stuff and came across this note I'd jotted down one evening last year when the light bulb clicked on. I titled it "Holy Crap -- Maybe I Can Buy!" It made me laugh to read it.

I still can't believe how amazing this year has been -- how the last 30 days have been. A month ago I hadn't started looking for a place yet. And now? Wow. Just ... wow. I am humbled.

No comments: