Wednesday, December 16, 2009

So I'm taking some steps to get ready for what is going to be a busy next 6-7 months. In addition to kicking my debt in the butt, I'll also be buying a place. That's right: I'm speaking it into being. I pulled out my financial calculator last night and started running the numbers. I can get a decent place for what I'm paying in rent now. Totally doable. The hardest part will be finding the place I like.

Oh -- and keeping my anxiety in check. LOL

The first thing is that come January, I'm going to take advantage of a deal for digital cable. For at least six months, I'll have better TV and a lower cable bill. It might not be a huge difference, but it'll be decent enough. And anything that's lower than what I'm paying is a good thing.

More importantly, I will be changing my withholding exemptions. I'm currently claiming zero. I am changing that to 1, so I'll have a little more in the paycheck. I've been claiming zero exemptions because I like getting that refund at the end of the year (in fact, I rely on it), but since I'll be buying a place next year, I'll be able to take advantage of various tax benefits that will result in a refund significantly larger than I'm used to.

And now that grad school is off the table, I don't have to worry about how to pay for all that come next September.

It's going to be a great year. :-)

Late Note: Effective tonight, my debt balance is finally below $6,000. Woohoo!!

No comments: