Saturday, July 11, 2009

When I'm Debt Free

Now that I can see the faintest glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, I'm starting to think about what I want to do when I'm finally debt free. To stay focused, I've gotta keep my eye on the prize-- or in this case, prizes.

I've started a list:

  1. Write the Big Beast's bank and tell them just what I think about the rate increase they imposed for absolutely no reason. (I'd do it now but there's no reason to anger them and have them seek their revenge.)
  2. Plan a real vacation. While the cruise with my parents last year was nice, it isn't a vacation I'd pick for myself. I'd rather spend my days enjoying the sights than wandering around on a big boat (and getting seasick). Here are some ideas: a spa/yoga retreat; Miami/South Beach; Spain or Italy; Viejo San Juan in Puerto Rico.
  3. New bedroom furniture. First things first: a new mattress. I've mentioned before the sad state of my mattresses. I've had them for at least 20 years, and before I had them, they were my parents'. They are uncomfortable and I'd much rather have a queen-size bed. I also would like a new bureau. My current one is now 34 years old; the bottom two drawers are in bad shape.
  4. Purge my closet of crap I hate and start building a wardrobe of things I love. Not like -- love.
  5. Sign up for pottery class.
  6. Join a gym or return to yoga class.
  7. Buy myself flowers.


Needless to say, I don't plan on doing all this at once. I'd go broke! But they're certainly things I look forward to starting when I'm debt free.

I'm 15 months away from my first day of debt freedom. Let the countdown begin!

5 comments:

Bouncing Back said...

Buy yourself the flowers NOW. Even when I had like no freaking money in my wallet, I would scrounge up the change to at least buy one or two stems. I put them in a nice vase on my kitchen table and just enjoyed seeing them each day until they totally dropped. I did not do it every day, but once about every 10-14 days.

veronica said...

You make an excellent point. Even if I do it only once a month. I'll start doing that. :-)

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Agreed with BB :)

Flowers are such a simple, easy way to make yourself feel better

For me, I don't like cut flowers. I'd rather grow flowers or wonderful plants so I can see them year round, so maybe that's an option?

Maria said...

Definitely buy yourself some flowers every once in a while. Walmart has some great ones for $5 and they last about a week. They will cheer you up and remind you how beautiful life really is!

Zoya said...

I also agree with the above commenters :)

It's important that you've set not only the goal but the reward, but your life won't start when yu are debt free, it is has started and you're living it NOW. So do something to enjoy it now, try to buy flowers at least sometimes.
To my mind, this is also true for clothes. Try to start now. Squeese some money for a new tee some time, new panties, buy something when it's on sale. Plan your wordrobe to buy only things you will wear. This can be somewhat discouraging, planning and not being able to buy something right now. But nevertheless, having a plan of what to wear is also a frugal approach, isn't it? when you have money you'll now what to buy. I strongly believe it's in all ways better not to convert to a princess from a Cindirella in one moment, but to start now, and let this process be slow but steady, just as saving for an emergency fund is. Do not neglect the woman in you, she's no Sleeping beauty, she lives now.