Saturday, May 30, 2009

Why I Save My Gift Cards

I love gift cards. So much so that other than cash, that's usually all I want as a gift from my parents at Christmas or on my birthday.

I never use them right away, though. Some people rush out and buy something immediately. Not me. I've been known to hold gift cards for almost a year, saving up for a rainy day. For me, a "rainy day" is when I've got the strong urge to buy something but don't have the cash. I can fix my case of I-Wants without my savings (or debt) taking a hit.

Yesterday was just that sort of day. For years I've wanted a portable speaker/docking station for my iPod. My fantasy, of course, has always been the Bose system, for its aesthetics and quality. But at $300, it's too expensive. Target recently had them on sale, and I'd just about talked myself into splurging and getting one -- even took out a credit card (gasp!) -- but I behaved. Instead, I went with a decent JBL speaker. Not as pretty, no, but similar functions for half the price.

After two Visa gift cards and one Target gift card, I owed 8 cents. Yep. 8 cents. Gotta love that. My case of I-Wants has been assuaged and now I can enjoy my music collection. Win-win.

The monthly update (is it that time already?) is almost here. It's going to be brutal, but ... well, it's gotta be done. That's the point of this blog -- to show the good and the brutal. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Bouncing Back said...

I do the same thing. I got a bunch of gift cards for Christmas one year, held onto them and did some much needed retail therapy a few weeks after Christmas. Bought a bunch of needs and wants, total cost to me was less than a Starbucks latte!