Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Room to Dream

Even though I have two more years before I'm debt free, recently I've started thinking about how to celebrate. I should do something good, something worthy of my achievement.

Things like flying to Miami for a few days. Or maybe going on a yoga retreat. How about a weekend at a spa? Or to NYC for a visit to the Metropolitan Museum?

And then there are the tangibles. I could finally replace my sagging mattress. Or my sagging couch. Or I could join a gym and fix my sagging -- well, you get the idea. ;-)

The goal is to have 10 grand in savings by then. I don't want my reward to require dipping into that amount. Anything I do will have to come out of whatever exceeds that amount. (More incentive to save extra, wouldn't you say?)

A year ago, I couldn't even imagine there being an end in sight. I didn't have the room to dream. Now? Well, I'm no fool, and I know I have a way to go. But I don't feel as hopeless as I did three years ago when I owed $9,000 on my car and $15,000 on credit cards. I barely had any savings, and my 401(k) was virtually nonexistent.

So yeah, I've got a little room to dream. And that's what I'm gonna do.

No comments: