Friday, October 10, 2008

October 10, 2008

I woke up this morning (a full hour before my alarm went off, unfortunately) with the realization that today is October 10 -- the date I've selected to be debt-free day in 2010. I thought it might be a good idea to say a few words today and on the next two October 10 dates.

How 'bout a little snapshot? Last October my total debt was a scary $19,774.47 spread between two credit cards. Today, at this moment, my debt is $14,631.93 (more on that in a minute). For those of you who suck at math as much as I do, that's a $5,142.54 difference. And one of those cards from last year was paid off this past July.

And since we're making comparisons, the savings in October 2007 was $3,690. Today, $5,663. That's a difference of $1,973.

This means that in the last 12 months, I've invested $7,115.54 ($5,142.54 + $1,973) in myself. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I should note that the reason the debt and savings balances are a bit different than they were just last Sunday is because I decided to pay from savings the last half of September's snowball payment amount. Also, there were a few credits from boot returns (from the failed boot quest) that have finally been processed.

It hasn't been all roses this year, though. There have been missteps. The first was the haircut in July. That was a lot of money right down the drain. The second was my loan to one Danny O'Neal, who still hasn't paid me back the $193 he owes me. I'm trying to think about it in terms of "well at least I tried to help a friend," but you know what? I'm really pissed off about the whole thing. I thought he was a better friend. And for someone who is so involved in the church -- he's a deacon, for crying out loud! -- he should know better. I left him a message yesterday telling him just what I thought about his behavior. Obviously we can't be friends -- there's no trust. I'm really hurt. Worse, I'm embarrassed for being so stupid.

So that's October 10, 2008. Here's hoping I make it to October 10, 2009.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great. That much debt payoff and savings increase is very admirable.
You should be very proud of yourself!

Just Average @ Family On The Verge said...

I'm impressed! I think paying off debt is always a one step forward, two steps back kind of thing.

I was thrilled to find your blog. It helps to read about others going through the same thing.

Single Mom, Single Money said...

I think your're doing great. Far better than I am. Don't belive me, check out the savings totals on my blog! :-)

It's all about the Baby Step!

veronica said...

Wow! Thanks so much, all, for your encouragement! You know, it wasn't until I did the math that it hit me that I'm making progress. Of course, I still have a long way to go, so I can't be too proud.

Unlike some of you, I don't have a husband or kids. I'm sure that helps in that I don't have the added expenses that come with having a family. But as with most things, there's always a trade-off...

Anyway, thanks, Maria, for your continued support. It means a lot. And AAF and SMSM, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Can't wait to read your blogs. :-)