Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be

William Shakespeare was a genius.

As much as I dreaded it, I made a point to confront my friend about the money he owes me. While I've called him over the last couple weeks about it, and though I have told him how much I need him to pay me back, I hadn't really allowed my anger and disappointment to show through. Sure, I sounded concerned, but I maintained a hopeful, understanding tone. But that didn't seem to work, so I promised myself that I would be honest about how I was feeling. I didn't yell, but I definitely made my point.

I felt bad about it; I felt like I was shaking him down. But every time I had that thought, I remembered how he had refused to take no for an answer when he called in a panic almost three weeks ago. Despite my obvious discomfort, he didn't mind pressing the issue until I agreed to send him the money. And then I only relented because he promised I'd get my money back immediately. I didn't. I shouldn't have felt bad about asking for what was mine.

But I did. I still do. I don't like that feeling.

He was tired from his job and sounded annoyed that I would be calling yet again, though he insisted he wasn't. He said he had done all he was supposed to do. When the first check didn't arrive, he stopped payment on it and mailed another. When that one didn't arrive, he stopped payment on that one too. (I have no idea what's going on with the mail. It should take only about three days.) He complained that it's costing him too, what with the stop-payment fees. And today he had to pay to send it via FedEx. (Honestly, I'd be annoyed in his situation too, what with my calling him so much. But he could've made the situation better had he touched base and not made me feel like I'd been left hanging.)

I think we both learned valuable lessons. I learned not to lend money to someone I've known only a few short months. And hopefully he's learned never to ask me again. He joked that one day we will laugh about all this. Hmmm. I don't see that happening. I'm sure we'll laugh about something -- indeed, lots of things -- but not about this. He's a sweet guy, and we have the potential to be great friends. But if this doesn't get taken care of and soon, that can't happen.

I should get his check tomorrow. If I don't? Well. That's that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of sad how lending money to someone can pretty much ruin the relationship, even though it was meant to help.

I sure hope you get your money back!

Sarah said...

Hmm..So he is claiming that not 1 but 2 checks were lost in the mail...that sound fishy to me. Good luck with that and thanks for the sweet comment :)

Sarah