Sunday, April 13, 2008

Maintaining Equilibrium

I got a raise at work. Before tax, it works out to be a wee bit over $2,300 a year. Sure, more would have been great, but considering the raises I got at my previous employer, which were laughable, I'm not complaining. With my rent expected to increase in August, my auto insurance going up $15 a month, and the price of gas going through the roof, well, most of the raise is pretty much spoken for.

Still, I'm thankful for it. Without it, those increases would hurt. Granted, I'm not going to be able to fast-track my debt payoff plan, but at least I can maintain the current levels.

And the timing couldn't be better. I've cut things pretty close this pay period. After shopping for groceries today, I've got about five bucks in my checking account. Thankfully, I bought a lot of stuff that can be taken for lunch. And my next check will be bigger than usual, what with the raise and the overtime. I'll be able to pay for that sweater I ordered from Anthro a couple months ago, as well as the tote bag I bought this past week. I charged both, but I promised myself that I'd send an extra payment on the account to cover them. With my next paycheck and my freelance check (received today, thankfully), I can cover everything and put some in savings as well.

No comments: