Friday, January 4, 2008

Et Tu, Lucchese?

After dreaming of them for over two years, I finally splurged on those cowboy boots. They came and yes, they were gorgeous. Still, I felt a bit guilty.

And then I noticed the flaws. Yes, the handmade Lucchese boots that I blew my budget for had flaws. Can you believe that? I was so annoyed. But it seems like whenever I order something I (probably) shouldn't have ordered, something goes wrong. Either the item is screwed up (remember the armoire?) or the return process turns out to be a real pain in the ass.

I had to e-mail the company to get a return authorization number. Of course, because it's holiday season, it took almost a week before I got a reply. But I finally received the authorization number, and I packed them up last night -- complete with a rather lengthy explanation about the problem -- and FedExed them this morning.

The company I ordered from supposedly has free shipping for exchanges, but apparently that only means the shipping of the new pair will be free. I still have to pay to return them. Great.

It's like this: I'd love for them to be exchanged for boots without flaws. But if they're out? Well, that's OK too. I'll have almost $300 credited back to my credit card, and that's not a terrible thing. Nope, not at all.

I chose FedEx's Express Saver option so that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to ship them back, but it's going to take longer than FedEx usually takes. And then only God knows how long it'll take for the return/exchange to be processed. If it happens by the end of January I'll be surprised. Care to place a wager, anyone?

If this isn't a lesson for me to stop ordering stuff, I don't know what is.

No comments: