Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy 2012!

I know, I know. It's been a while. My apologies. I've been fairly busy, and to be honest, there hasn't been that much to report. But there are two noteworthy things:

First, I entered 2012 free of credit card debt. This is my second year in a row of being able to say that, and you know what? It feels as good as it did last year.

Second, I still have savings. Mind you, I don't have as much as I expected, or would like, but the simple fact that I have savings is a good thing.

2011 could be described as the year of "Woohoo! I'm debt free!" It was like a small party. When I saw something I liked, I bought it. I didn't think about it; I just got it. Sure, there were some things that were in the plan -- the mattresses, a new couch -- and some things that weren't in the plan but were needed, like when my TV died and I got a new one. And then there were the many other items that were neither planned nor, really, needed. (Though I suppose one would argue that the only things needed are food, clothing, and shelter. But you know what I mean.) There were things like the blender, some pricier-than-usual clothes, and my recently acquired 1950s-era end tables. There was more, but those are some highlights.

2012, however, will be the year I seek equilibrium. I still plan to hit Paris sometime this year, but that's the only luxury I will allow. I will be paying for that with my IRS refund. Another major purchase is a new computer. I don't consider that a luxury given that this computer is so old that I can no longer run updates on it. It's gotten exceedingly slow, the battery doesn't stay charged, and the P key works pretty much when it feels like it. My fantasy is the 15" Powerbook, but it's way too expensive. So I'll get the small one. I will get a wireless router too at some point, but that's not a priority.

So that's it in a nutshell. I'll try to be better about checking in. Happy new year!

No comments: