Sunday, October 11, 2009

Which Savings Is Better: 40% or 100%?

I've become spoiled by Borders' coupons. For a while, I could be tempted by the 25 percent coupon, but then the 30 percent coupons started coming and I could no longer be bothered by the paltry 25 percent savings.

And then came the 40 percent coupon. Sometimes it comes with rules -- like, it has to be for something that costs more than $10 or even $20. But the one I got Friday was that rare and wonderful thing: 40 percent off any book.

I had to shop, right?

No. I didn't have to. But I did anyway. And while I was perusing the self-help section and considering a paperback by Wayne Dyer, the thought occurred to me: Rather than save 40 percent, wouldn't it be better to save 100 percent? I have all these books -- including one by Dr. Dyer -- collecting dust on my bookshelf. Rather than forking over the dough for yet another book to join the ever-growing collection of unread books (I think I'm pushing 50), I high-tailed it out the store, got in my car, and drove home.

And then I promptly scheduled a payment toward my credit card debt in the amount that I was about to so willingly pay to Borders. I'm going to try to do this: Whenever I have the itch to spend money on something I really don't need, I'm going to instead pay on my credit card the amount I would've spent. With luck, it'll get me to debt freedom faster.

Today's payment wasn't much -- barely 10 bucks. But every little bit helps, especially when you officially have less than one year to reach your goal. :-)

4 comments:

oilandgarlic said...

I just stumbled across your blog and enjoy your honesty and writing style. I've been reading a lot of finance bloggers in the 20-something age range and it's nice to read about someone closer to my own age!

I definitely have to remind myself that saving X amount with a coupon is not the same as not spending at all.

Good luck with your debt reduction. One thing that helps keep me on track is to remember that if I don't have the money to pay for it now, I'm paying interest on it!

veronica said...

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment and for your compliments.

Yes, there seem to be very few PF bloggers out there my age. While the frustration of debt is universal, it's a different issue for a 40-something than it is for a 20-something.

I love what you said about paying interest on things. I'm going to remember that the next time I'm debating about buying something. :-)

SeeJaneGetRich.com said...

I am one of those 20-something bloggers and I have enjoyed readings your entries and am impressed that you are on track to be debt free. BTW, I found your blog through Her Every Cent Counts Top PF blogs by women list.

veronica said...

Thanks, Jane! :-)