Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Every Little Bit Helps

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm the owner of a sick Mac laptop. Before taking it in to inquire about a repair, I figured it would be wise to (finally) buy a backup drive to make sure all my docs, photos, and music is saved.

I really like MacMall. They've got good customer service, great prices, and they almost always have decent rebate offers. So it was a no-brainer for me to buy my backup drive from them. I needed something that I could just plug in (since my disk drive no longer works) and I found exactly what I was looking for. And much to my delight, they also had a rebate offer for the shipping.

Since the backup drive isn't that big, I knew shipping wouldn't be that high. But knowing that every little bit helps, I appreciated knowing that I could save on at least that cost. So I downloaded my form. And when my backup drive arrived, I followed the instructions to the letter and sent it in.

Imagine my surprise when I received a letter from MacMall yesterday saying they couldn't honor my rebate request because they had no record of any such rebate offer.

Now ... my rebate was only for about 15 bucks. Still, it's 15 bucks that they owe me. So I called customer service.

The first time I called, I was on hold for almost 8 minutes. The next time, almost 10. I chuckled to myself, "I bet I'm not the only one that got a letter."

And I was right. When I called again a few hours later, the customer service rep sounded harried. I told him all about my letter and the rebate offer and he apologized profusely before informing me that yes, I would definitely be getting a check for my rebate. "We've gotten a lot of complaints," he said. "It was a mistake in our system."

My check should arrive in 4-5 weeks.

No comments: