Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's With the All the Saving?

A couple of visitors have kindly commented on my progress and have offered their wisdom. In fact, their main suggestion is something I've debated for some time:

Why not stop the saving for a while and concentrate on paying off the debt?

One reason was mentioned in an earlier post. The other reason is more complicated to explain except to say that I'm as compelled to save as much as I'm compelled to pay off my debt.

Maybe it's that I feel I'm on the cusp of a transition in my life, but I feel I have to be ready for whatever opportunity makes itself known. I'm not trying to be vague, at least not deliberately, but I don't really know how to explain it. Already I'm considering a couple things in particular, and I don't want debt to have to enter into the picture if I decide to pursue them.

I'm not entirely nuts, though: I am considering putting the saving plan on hiatus at the end of the year and concentrating on what will then be just the one big balance. Of course, as a woman, it's my prerogative to change my mind. You know what they say about the best laid plans...

Until then, though, thanks, Maria and Jim, for stopping by and for your support and suggestions. I appreciate the feedback.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Veronica,
I can completely understand how you feel about your cushion and I believe that we all must do what is best for us. That's what makes this journey so "personal."
There's another book that might help your situation a bit more. It's called "How to get out of debt, stay out of debt and live prosperously" by Jerrold Mundis. It inspired me to live a balanced lifestyle while paying down debt.
I do believe that we can do both.
:)

veronica said...

I have that book! I read it (or most of it) years ago. I guess I did learn a little from it after all. :-)