Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What Price Sanity?

I'm happy to report that I kept my spending in check during the visit of my cousin and her girls. To be honest, more of my sanity was spent than was cash. I'm not sure that's a better deal, but at least I didn't incur any new debt and I didn't overspend.

But I must confess that I felt like spending some dough after they left as retail therapy -- and as a reward for being patient with two girls who for 3.5 days and four nights stayed in my home and never said a word to me unless forced. It was maddening! I actually considered buying a new iPod. But I am going to try to suppress that desire to spend. In the end, I'll be happier to pay off the Little Beast sooner rather than later.

I did enjoy catching up with my cousin. It's been a long time since we hung out. She seemed to have a good time, and that's the important thing, especially given her unhappiness with her marriage. And it definitely gave me a greater appreciation for my life. I tend to think my life is pretty boring -- and to many, I'm sure it is -- but although I'm hopelessly single, I am, overall, content.

Another good thing about the visit is that it kept me from obsessively checking the financials. And guess what? The world didn't come to an end.

No comments: